Sunday 31 December 2017

2017 review

It's that time of year again. The time when I come to review what I've made in the last 12 months, fret that there won't be much to write about, and surprise myself with just how much I've done.

This year I was even more worried than usual about how little there would be. My college work takes up a fair amount of my time, and a longish bout of depression in the spring left me not feeling like doing much at all.

But despite all this I'd somehow made more than I remembered.

First up, hats. After the excitement of completing my first hat in 2016, I made several more this year (and have even more blocked and waiting to complete). As well as finally finishing my silk percher hat and experimenting with straw, I made felt hats from the 1920s, 1940s and 1950s. Thanks to Sue Carter and Marie Thornton of The Millinery Studio for their excellent tuition, and to Bronwen Simpson of Hat Works for everything she does organising classes and Open Blocking days.

Clockwise from top left: 1940s, 1950s, 1950s straw and 1920s

Beaded silk percher hat

Much as I love drafting my own patterns, there's no denying that it does take time, so I don't do as much as I'd like to. However, I did manage to create a late 1950s/early 1960s pinafore dress, and make a few improvements to my CC41 dress pattern.

Pinafore dress and CC41 dress

Self-drafted patterns don't count towards the Vintage Pledge, but I did sort of fulfil my promise to make up three of my vintage or reissued patterns. Only 'sort of', because the original plan was to make all three items from a selection of my patterned stash fabrics. Simplicity 4896 was made from bought fabric, and Butterick 6620 was made from plain stash fabric. Only the infamous Dress of Frump was made from fabric which I'd earmarked for the Vintage Pledge.

This year's Vintage Pledge; the Dress of Frump, Butterick 6620 and Simplicity 4896

Despite the epic fail of Simplicity 1587 I have not, after all, given up on green clothing. As I had hoped, the stiff green dress made from New Look 6093 improved no end after a couple of washes. And I'm still chuffed that I was able to rescue my green and blue cotton skirt. But the item which I think received the most compliments of the year was the dress I remade for the British Heart Foundation's Big Stitch campaign. That was something I'd never done before, and had never thought of doing - and it was great fun.

Green success, and the Big Stitch remake

Who knows what the New Year will bring, but here's hoping for a great 2018!

4 comments:

  1. You have some fabulous makes here! I love the hats--especially the 1940s and 1920s ones. The CC41 dress is fabulous. I actually have a huge soft spot for wartime fashion, utility and all. I think the simplicity and understated elegance and ease were just wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Juliana! By the time I finished the CC41 dress it was getting too cold to wear it, so I'm looking forward to having an almost new dress ready to wear come the spring.

      Delete
  2. A great roundup of all your makes from 2017. I particularly love seeing all of your hats together, they're fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make in 2018. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cate! The same goes for me too; I always enjoy seeing what you've made. xx

      Delete