Sunday 22 April 2018

Time Traveller

I have been 'all over the place' this weekend, both in terms of time and location.

On Saturday I went to the Festival of Vintage in York. I travelled over there on Friday, and had a lovely afternoon strolling round the city in the sun - and made a bonus costume discovery in the process.

The location of the costume discovery

It was the first time I'd been to anything on the scale of the Festival of Vintage, and I was amazed by just how large it was. Lots of people dressed up; those in modern dress were definitely in the minority.

Shoppers at the Festival of Vintage

The festival covered the period 1930s-1960s. I went 1950s and wore my Rosalind dress, with a grey gloves, a synthetic straw hat which I bought a couple of years ago at a vintage fair in the Town Hall, and a pair of surprisingly comfortable (fortunately) heels from that well-known vintage emporium; Dorothy Perkins!

Slightly blurred hotel mirror selfie

I did change into flats for the train journey home, though!

Then today it was back a further decade, for the Colwyn Bay Forties Festival. I really enjoyed my visit in 2016 but wasn't able to go last year, so I was glad that I could make it this time. I even dressed up, wearing my latest CC41 dress (Cate is right, it really needs a belt, even though the previous dress I made from this pattern didn't!), with a vintage handbag I've had for a while, and a hat and snood bought in York the day before.

The displays included a pop-up museum of wartime life in Wales.

Re-enactor in the pop-up museum

Sadly the weather wasn't great, so one of the Anderson shelters on display was pressed into service as a dining room for the re-enactors.

Enjoying fish and chips in the dry

Despite the weather, it was a fun day. I'll write it, and my York trip, up properly soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing your write up of the Festival of York. I've wanted to go to that for several years now but it's just so far away. I had a look at train costs, and it would be £200 for a return ticket for me!! I'd have no money to spend whilst I was there if I did it that way. It's interesting that you say the modern clothing wearer was in the minority. That so rarely happens at a lot of festivals down here, it always feels like us vintage wearers are the minority and I wonder what the hell everyone else is doing there! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seemed to be more people in modern dress later in the day, but standing in the queue to go in, it was wall-to-wall vintage! I had wondered if I would stand out by being in 50s dress, but not a bit of it. I did look a little out of place on the Manchester to Chester train home, though! xx

      Delete